Thursday 17 October 2013

HCT12 Bench and Sled Training Oct 17

Today's mental break workout pulls from something I tried years ago - the HCT12 program designed by wannabebig.com . It's basically just rest-pause training, working up to a heavy 6 and then doing three doubles at the same weight immediately afterward, resting 30-60 seconds between each set to add up to 12 reps at a 6-rep max.

Bench - Sets of 6 @ 45, 95, 115, 135, 155, 185, 205, 225, 245

6 + 2 + 2 + 3 @ 265

After I finished my last double I still felt good and couldn't think of a good reason not to attempt a third rep - still went up nice and fast. I actually felt really good about this workout because my PR with 265 is 7. Granted I did that right after I benched 315 for the first time, but it was still a strong PR and the best I've done so to successfully hit HCT12 at this weight plus an extra rep with good speed felt great.

and now... THE SLED!!!!!!

I just got this thing so I could start doing heavy sled dragging as assistance for deads and squats, but I'll also use it for a bunch of other things, like today:

8 25ft Hand over Hand drags @ 280
4 25ft Facing-Away Overhead Tricep Throws @ 190

I kinda made up that second exercise, or at least haven't seen it before and it's awesome! I'm going to need more rope though. I thought 25 feet would be enough but I must have been thinking about meters because I eat up 25ft in about five good pulls with 180lbs on the sled. I also need to start getting to Brandon's earlier because traffic is getting worse and worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment