Thursday 12 June 2014

Box Squats Monday, June 2 / Axxis Gym First Impression

Solid training this morning, Brandon and I checked out Axxis Gym for the first time. I'd heard about it from my friend Jay who's a pro strongman and describes it as the last real gym in Edmonton. The owner definitely seems committed to making sure it's as no-bullshit as a profitable gym can be. I like the equipment, too. They have one of the same Icarian cages that we use at Gold's, but two others besides. While we were there we still saw some pretty awful stuff but it wasn't nearly as bad or as widespread as what you see at Gold's. Still, I could have picked a better day to try it out. My program for heavy days ranges between 82% triples and 90% doubles, so it probably would've been a good idea to try the brand new gym on the 82% day. I had to spend a bit of time setting up the cage, placing the plyo box and finding a plate to go on top of it that would make the squats exactly parallel, but the squats themselves went pretty well.

Triples @ 45, 95, 135, 185, 225, 275, 295, 315, 335

5 x 3 @ 350

I was having some issues with the bar placement. At Gold's they have a couple of 32mm powerlifting bars that we use for squats, so I'm used to that bigger diameter. These were good bars weight-wise but they were probably about 28mm so I was having a hard time hitting the groove across my rear delts where I'm really comfortable and confident in maintaining the arch with heavy weight. I ended up doing a couple of squats that looked suspiciously like good mornings, but I figured it out and my last couple of sets were my best ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment