Thursday 1 August 2013

Leg Training Mountain Dog Style - August 1, 2013

Typically my lower body Beyond 5/3/1 days are Box Squats or Deadlifts, but I've been dealing with a neck injury since last Monday. It presents as a pinched nerve, but I've also had symptoms like these from a thoracic rib being out of place. My chiro/ART guy is on vacation right now, and he's the only one I trust for upper cervical adjustment so I'm having to train around it right now. I love mountain dog style training for assistance work, so today Brandon and I decided we'd have some fun and blast the legs without having to load the spine.

Seated Hamstring Curls - Pause at the bottom

I did five or six warm-up sets of 10, then two sets of 12 at 160lbs.


Leg Press - After I warmed up, I added 0.5 inch strength bands doubled up around the safety spotter handles of the leg press. The press itself is a Precor Icarian on about a 45 degree slant. These bands are equivalent to elitefts pro minis, and based on how I've calibrated them on reverse band pins I figure they probably add about 150lbs at the top of the movement when they're doubled up. Not nearly as much of a difference on a leg press as on a squat, but it definitely does force me to be more explosive which is why I add them.

Sets of 8 with slow negatives

@ 90, 180, 270, 360, 450, 540

Added Bands, Sets of 10 with Fast Tempo

540, 630, 720

Back down to 540, did 10 with very slow negatives

Strip Set - 10 Reps as fast as possible with 360, 270, 180, and 90

All I had time for before I had to head to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment